时间:2025-04-03 10:49:13 来源:网络整理编辑:焦點
Russia disposed of a leaky supply ship that had been docked at the International Space Station over
Russia disposed of a leaky supply ship that had been docked at the International Space Station over the weekend, allowing it to burn up over the Pacific Ocean, according to NASA.
Managers of the Russian space agency Roscosmos decided to deorbit the Progress 82 cargo capsule with an engine burn Saturday night. They made the decision after undocking the ship the day prior to get a better look at its radiator, where they believed coolant was spraying out into space. No astronauts were aboard the discarded spacecraft, as it's not intended for passengers. NASA said the ship was loaded with trash.
SEE ALSO:The space station sprung a leak. NASA and Russia just revealed why.Tweet may have been deleted
The disposal follows a depressurization alert onboard the spacecraft on Feb. 11, making it the second Russian spacecraft to spring a leak at the space station over the past two months. A Soyuz capsule for carrying humans also suffered a similar coolant leak in December 2022, leaving three crew members without a lifeboat.
UPDATE: Feb. 22, 2023, 11:29 a.m. ESTFollowing Roscosmos' in-space inspection of the cargo ship and before it broke up over the ocean, the agency said external damage — not a manufacturing defect — caused the leak. The Russian space agency plans to launch a new empty passenger spaceship Thursday, Feb. 24, giving the three marooned crew a fresh return ride home. The new Soyuz MS-23 is expected to dock at the space station this weekend. But because of the shuffle in spacecraft, the astronaut and two cosmonauts won't come home until September, extending their time in space by six months. NASA officials said they are reviewing photos and data related to the leaks "in parallel" with their Russian counterparts.
After an investigation into the first leak, Russian and U.S. space officials believed a micrometeoroid smaller than a sharpened pencil tip had caused the puncture. The coolant seeping into space then, caught on live video, was intended to keep the cabin at a comfortable temperature.
"The entire NASA and Roscosmos team have continued to work together to investigate the cause of this situation, and we will continue to do so," said Jeff Arend, manager of NASA's space station engineering office, during a news conference Friday. "We'll know more in the coming days."
"We'll know more in the coming days."
Want more scienceand tech news delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up for Mashable's Top Stories newslettertoday.
Both agencies previously determined the leaky crew capsule would be unfit to bring three men home, at risk of overheating. NASA astronaut Frank Rubio and Russian cosmonauts Sergey Prokopyev and Dmitri Petelin, who arrived at the space station in September 2022, were supposed to be at the Earth-orbiting laboratory for only six months, with a return trip set for this March.
Despite the Russia-Ukraine war and geopolitical tensions between Russia and the United States, the two nations' space agencies have continued to work collaboratively at the space station.
Tweet may have been deleted
Joel Montalbano, NASA's space station program manager, said in January that the crew had taken the news well that their return ride was still TBD, were excited to be doing research in space, and were prepared to stay a full year if necessary.
"I may have to fly some more ice cream to reward them," he said then.
During a NASA news briefing Tuesday evening, U.S. space officials were pressed on the likelihood of two spacecraft suffering the same damage on the same part from some sort of space debris. Dana Hutcherson, a NASA manager for space station crew, said she didn't believe Roscosmos was suggesting the second leak was caused by a meteoroid.
"I think what they're really trying to understand is, are there any signs or signatures that somewhere along the spacecraft journey, whether it's launch or launch vehicle separation, there's some other external influence or damage that could have occurred that could have been a factor there," she said.
TopicsNASA
Singapore gets world's first driverless taxis2025-04-03 10:46
2019 was the year of clowning for love2025-04-03 10:43
Bailey, Elizabeth Warren's very good dog, stole and ate a burrito2025-04-03 10:32
The coronavirus has sent a video game about wiping out humanity to #12025-04-03 09:59
Xiaomi accused of copying again, this time by Jawbone2025-04-03 09:58
BMW's i4 electric concept car is finally here, and it's got a huge grille2025-04-03 09:25
Tech that could seriously change the game in 20202025-04-03 09:13
Food delivery companies offer option to leave orders at your door because of coronavirus2025-04-03 08:32
How Hyperloop One went off the rails2025-04-03 08:21
Tokyo 2020 athletes will sleep on beds made from cardboard2025-04-03 08:04
MashReads Podcast: What makes a good summer read?2025-04-03 10:17
Chrissy Teigen's impression of Luigi hunting ghosts is absolutely on point2025-04-03 10:10
BMW's i4 electric concept car is finally here, and it's got a huge grille2025-04-03 09:53
Minions are invading the world of LEGO2025-04-03 09:37
Did our grandparents have the best beauty advice?2025-04-03 09:19
Entitled billionaire Elon Musk thinks coronavirus panic is 'dumb'2025-04-03 09:18
Janelle Monae shouted out Oscars So White in her musical opening2025-04-03 09:13
Huawei's Google Maps alternative is TomTom2025-04-03 08:36
Visualizing July's astounding global temperature records2025-04-03 08:35
Katherine Johnson, NASA mathematician and subject of 'Hidden Figures,' dead at 1012025-04-03 08:24